Thursday, November 4, 2010

Madeline's Vision




First let me apologize for letting so much time pass without updating this blog.  I have to admit that I've been stuck in the most magnificent pity party you can imagine.  This is hard.  No matter how I try to sugar coat it or praise God in the midst of it, the hard is still hard.  My daughter has cancer.  She has no hair.  She has a feeding tube in her nose.  She moans and cries because her body hurts in ways she can't explain.  On the good days it is hard.  On the bad days it is beyond hard.  Over the past two months we have been in-patient in the hospital twice, been through two CT scans to check a strange growth on her lungs, explored countless changes to medication schedules and feeding schedules, endured the heartbreak of friends who are walking harder roads than we are, and the list goes on and on.  So please forgive me for my silence and witness my climb out of self-pity and into the light of hope again.  For there is so very much to be hopeful about. 





As I washed the dinner dishes tonight, girls in bed and asleep early for a change, I reflected on why I have been so focused on the hard.  Exhaustion, complacency, lethargy all contribute.  Mostly I haven't felt God in this with me for a while now.  What a ridiculous thing on which to ascribe this despondency.  My God, the very one who brings light to the world, hope to the hopeless and power to the powerless is not shining it brightly enough for me, apparently.  Then a funny thing happened.  Madeline wandered into the kitchen, bleary eyed and half asleep.  "Mom," she said, "I just saw the most amazing angels."





Before I go on, I need to say a few words about Madeline.  She has been, for lack of a better word, a trouper this year.  She has lost all sense of normalcy, given up countless hours of time with her parents and sister, watched her best friend in the world fight leukemia and all the horrible effects that come with it, and she has handled herself through this year with an incredible understanding far beyond her years.  She is also our highly sensitive child, who since the age of two has seen things spiritually that seriously blow us away.  When Madeline walks into a room and says that she's seen angels I immediately get goosebumps and have to sit down.


Her face is sleepy and glowing with a peace that passes understanding.  I draw her close and ask her what she saw.  "Mom, there were the most beautiful angels in our house.  They started in Michaela's room and they hovered above her bed holding baskets of fruit.  They poured the fruit over her and her hair started to grow back.  Her feeding tube started to disappear.  She had color in her cheeks again!  Then they went through the rest of the house with their fruit, and finally ended up in my room.  They emptied the fruit over me and I tasted it, mom!  It tasted better than anything I've ever tasted ... kind of a weird cross between peaches and red peppers.  It was so good!"  She snuggled into my arms and I looked at Jon.  We both had tears in our eyes.  





I have to say that I don't have a clue what this means for Madeline.  I'm sure she was in need of some encouragement tonight or there was some personal reason God wanted to bless her with this prophetic word.  I do know what it means for me, though.  Only a God who is deeply invested in relationship would choose our dreaming 7-year-old girl to give a vision of hope to this weary mom.  He firmly told me tonight that He is here in the midst of the hard.  The weight lifting from my shoulders is liberating.  As I kissed Madeline goodnight I turned into the light of the kitchen and felt free to believe that it will all be okay.  I've been showered by angels tonight and I've been told that the taste is fabulous.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Tiffany, thank you for sharing this beautiful vision. I am so moved that He chose to bless Madeline, and through her your whole family, in this way. May Jesus Christ Emmanuel "God with us" and El Roi "The God who sees me" shower you with His presence and blessings. Love, Carie

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good. He is so personally good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany,
    This hardship is bringing such blessings to others. For "underneath are the everlasting arms."
    Love you all so much,
    DaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your beautiful and powerful words of love and grace in the midst of "hard." God is good even in the midst of difficult days. Your children will rise up and call you blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visions and Dreams...for encouragement...to draw our hearts in the RIGHT direction. WE NEED YOU, LORD. May there be Shalom for you to draw upon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take care you guys! We are always praying for you :)
    love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the God I know and see! praise God he has revealed this to you through the eyes of a child, for unless we becomelike a child, we really can't recieve the kingdom, you have three angels and many more surrounding you! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! Beautifully written dear sister- and I like your new format, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What a great God who loves us so much!
    I love how he chose your daughter to bless you.
    Tiff, I have done a poor job of keeping in contact, but please know that I'm thinking of you and your family and praying for you!

    (Tori, thank you for sharing this link!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my goodness! This is a crazy cool testimony of how God can speak through even the worst of situations! What a blessing :) I'm glad things are getting better for you guys, at least in a spiritual sense. Hope everything's going great!!!
    ~The Ryders

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw Cynthia and Scott yesterday and she told about this, but reading it has me crying in the coffee shop. Thank You Jesus for showing this. We agree with what You are showing - hair coming back, feeding tubes going away, and being fed from Your heavenly banquet table. All Your promises are Yes and we say Amen. Come Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete